Translate

Monday, June 24, 2024

Review: The Vanishing Act

The Vanishing Act The Vanishing Act by Sarah Ward
My rating: 4 of 5 stars
Book Published: 4th July 2024

So this is the third book in the Mallory Dawson Crime Thriller series and I have actually read these all and in order... (very unusual for me to get that right haha).

I have enjoyed the previous two books, so was looking forward to this one and I wasn't disappointed. And I think the story and the writing gives enough back story that you could read this as a standalone book.

The story is of a family of 5 who vanish from their holiday home in a remote area of Wales which the cleaner of the property notices is under strange circumstances. The cleaner Elsa knows Mallory and calls her as she is concerned for the family.

Through the book it becomes apparent that the house has a past which involves alleged poltergeists and strange happenings when a family lived their back in 2003 3 siblings and their hippy parents.

Leaving Mallory and DI Harri Evans to investigate the disappearance of the family and trying to see if there is a connection between what is happening now and the houses history, sue to the unexplained events.

I really enjoyed this book and thought it followed on nicely from the last book, I enjoy the returning characters and feel very comfortable and confident when they are involved in the story. The settings are well described and I really enjoy the atmosphere created and all the tension, with the building of the plot and the story, along with the twists and turns you expect from a good mystery.

My main niggle is the constant referencing of Welsh language TV and Radio, I don't think it's always necessary to mention, although it is very comforting to read and be immersed in the Welsh language in this book.

I hope there are more books to come in this series as I feel so invested in Mallory, her son Toby and DI Harri Evans stories I want to know how their relationships progress.

Thank you to Net Galley and the publishers for this ARC.

View all my reviews

Crime Reading Month

Popular Posts